Wednesday, July 23, 2008

THE LAND OF SMILES - THAILAND 11th-18th JULY




Our only aims for the Thailand trip was to relax, shop and get our OPEN WATER DIVING cert........
all of which we did rather well.
After a melting day in Chatachuk market in Bangkok we boarded our over night bus to Koh Tao.
This turned out to be the journey from hell as we had the worst seats at the back of the bus and we ended up at the ferry point hot, tired and my feet had swollen up the size of elephants which resulted in my first trip to the Koh Tao doctor of the holiday
When we got to Koh Tao we started back to school and had to do loads of theory for our PADI, our instructor Alex was great and there were only two more students in our group Charlotte and Mathieu.
Diving itself was amazing! I struggled a lot with equalizing and my ears were pretty painful for the first 2 days.............it was also a weird feeling being under water, breathing like Darth Vader and having loads of beautiful fish swimming about - but I soon got used to it!

On the last day, we had two fantastic dives were we went down to 18m and got up close to a sleeping sea turtle. AMAZING. and suffice to say we all passed the tests and got our PADI.

So with one day left in Koh Tao before heading back to Bangkok I decided to spend the days relaxing on the beach...........George on the other hand wanted to hire motorbikes and go explore the island. Pamela and I decided this would be a more exciting way to spend our last day and so we signed up for the adventure too.

What a ride it was - the result was treacherous dirt track roads that sent me skidding off my bike, we had to get some locals to bring our bikes back to the main road for us and I had to go to the doc for the 2nd time to get 6 stitches in my knee. this was also the end of my swimming in the sea for this holiday!
the bummer was the next day when we had to spend more than we had the whole week in Koh Tao to the rental women who held Georges passport hostage, until we forked up enough money to replace parts on the bike whenever they were only scratched. Live and Learn.

Then we were back in Bangkok in time for another melting hot shopping day at Chatachuk and some great food at our favourite street stalls before flying to Cambodia............

2 comments:

David and Sue said...

Hi Lorraine and George, Love the blog, came upon it by accident, but following your journey with interest. Good Luck and keep taking the pictures, David and Sue

Anonymous said...

HI dear George and Lorraine!!I'm completely fascinated by yor blog, what a fantastic adventure you have lived!!!, I told my students to read it so they can know new far away places and read real English, kisses from ARG marina